1. The Eiffel Tower has 2,5 million rivets!
2. The Eiffel Tower is since 1911 a ”popular” place for committing suicide. About 350 to 400 people committed suicide on the Tower. They jumped of the building or hung themselves. Today, the security is tightened up and is there a large net around the Eiffel Tower. Only two people survived the jump. One person ended up on a car. Despite the pathetic story, it does have a good ending. She married the owner of the car! Awh, how sweet ♥
3. In 1923 a journalist was crazy enough to cycle downwards the stairs from the first floor.
4. In 1986, Pierre Bideau conceived the idea to illuminate the Eiffel Tower from the inside. Thanks to him, the Eiffel Tower looks like gold at night.
5. In 1940, Hitler wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower. However, there were a few smart ones who had sabotaged the elevators so he only could take the stairs. Haha, what a joke!
6. On the 14th of July, everyone can enjoy a fantastic firework performance at the Eiffel Tower. During this national holiday, the French celebrate the 1st anniversary of the French Revolution.
7. Do you think the Sacré Coeur has many steps? Then prepare yourself for the Eiffel Tower, because the Eiffel Tower has 1710 steps up! 360 steps to the first floor and 1060 steps to the second floor. The remaining steps proceed to the third floor, but they are not approachable for visitors. Thanks monsieur Eiffel for building elevators in it!
8. Every 7 years the Eiffel Tower must be repainted. They use 40 a 60 tons of paint!
9. Tom Cruise proposed to Katie Holmes at the top of the Eiffel Tower. A little bit cliche Tom, shame on you!
10. The cost of construction (7.8 million French francs) have been recouped in the first year.